The process of transferring database involves two storage types, formats, or systems. Organizations and companies may want to transfer their databases for a number of reasons, including server or storage equipment replacements, maintenance or upgrades, application migration, website consolidation and data facility relocation. Completing this task comes with transferring of all database objects and categories: table definitions, data, indexes, constraints, views, triggers, stored procedures and processes, user accounts, roles and permissions.
Databases can be moved manually or programmatically with the use of complex program often referred to as database converters. Manual technique normally consists of these steps:
- export table definitions along with indexes and constraints from the source database in form of SQL statements
- convert these statements into the destination format and import to the target database
- export data from the source database into an intermediate storage like comma separated values (CSV) files
- transform the data according to the destination format and load it to the target database
- extract views, stored procedures/functions and triggers from the original database in form of SQL statements and code
- convert these statements and code according to the target format and import into the destination DB
Shortly after uploading to the new program, the processed data has to be authenticated to determine if the database was properly moved, processed and comes with suitable supports for programs in the new system. It is often advised to run both source and destination database systems at the same time through the entire authentication process to figure out areas of disparity, and forestall data loss or corruption.
For giant and complex database migration task, Carrying it out programmatically will help you achieve an automatic process flow and reducing human resources on complicated tasks. It is important to choose the appropriate tool to transfer the database in the projected time-frame without data loss or data corruption.
Below are the list of basic features which can be provided with the aid of superb database migration tools:
- All recent versions of source and destination DBMS are supported
- Table definitions, indexes and constraints are converted with all necessary attributes
- Conversion settings must be stored into a profile for next use
- Full Unicode support
- Option to customize types mapping, conversion rules, etc
- Command line support
- Comprehensive documentation and 24/7 support service
There is also a range of software organizations that provide dedicated solutions to automate database migration. Intelligent Converters is one of this organizations that are delivering high-quality services in the field of database conversion, migration and synchronization from 2001. They develop a variety of database converters for a lot of well-known database management systems like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Azure SQL, Microsoft Access, FoxPro and SQLite.